The LIGHT House
Frequently Asked Questions
What does it mean to choose adoption for my child?
If you are considering making an adoption plan for your baby, The LIGHT House is here to help. We support your decision to give your baby life. If you feel that there are too many obstacles financially, socially or emotionally facing you, adoption lets you make a choice in the best interest of your child.
Here's how it works: The birth mother and father (if he is available and willing) work closely with The LIGHT House Birth Parent Advocate to create an adoption plan for the baby. The Birth Parent Advocate will help support them through the entire process from pregnancy to placement and beyond.
Can adoption be good for my baby and me?
If you feel that you are not ready to be a parent, you can still give your baby a wonderful life by choosing adoption for him or her. Many adoption options will be available for you to choose from: Open adoption, Semi-Open adoption or Closed adoption. The Birth Parent Advocate will talk with you about them in detail.
What type of adoption is available?
- An Open Adoption is the type of adoption in which the birth mother (and participating birth father) establish an on-going relationship with the adoptive parents and your child after placement. You will have the opportunity to see your baby and develop a relationship with the child as they grow up.
- A Semi-Open adoption is one that offers some interaction between the birth mother (and participating birth father) and child, but not as much as an open adoption might have. For example, letters and cards and even gifts might be exchanged through The LIGHT House , but no actual contact would take place unless both parties agreed prior to the adoption.
- A Closed adoption is when very little or no contact takes place between the birth mother (and participating birth father) and adoptive parents or child.
Can I choose the family for my baby?
YES! The Birth Parent Advocate will offer support as you choose a stable, loving environment for your baby from families that have been carefully screened and approved. You will have the opportunity to read through profiles of families and have contact with them as your are making your adoption plan.
How much will my child know about me?
The amount of information about you that is known is dependent upon the type of adoption you choose. The State of Missouri requires you to provide complete Medical and Social History report for your child no matter what type of adoption is occurring. The LIGHT House will assist you in having this report completed
When you choose to place your child through adoption:
- You are making a positive life plan for your baby. You are selecting a family who is stable, loving, nurturing and can provide a secure home for your child;
- You can talk with Birth Parent Advocate who can answer your questions while you make your final decision and is there to offer support;
- You are able to choose the type of adoption plan for your baby and yourself;
- You are making a brave and loving decision for your child.
Do many people adopt children?
Yes. There are over 1.5 million adopted children in the United States.
Frequently Asked Questions Adoptive Families May Have:
What is the typical time frame for adoption?
It is hard to predict exact time frames for adoptions. Sometimes it can be as short as a month. In other cases, the wait can be much longer, sometimes even years. However, we truly believe that God orchestrates the match and every baby is placed with the family they are meant to be with.
How do we get started?
For more information you can call The LIGHT House Adoption Manager at 816.231.2233 ext. 203 and discuss your particular situation. Then complete an application through this website.
Upon review and approval of the application you will be contacted and a home study will need to be completed. The Adoption Manager can assist in you this process.